The medical staff at Bothwell Regional Health Center will host a free community fitness night from 6 to 9 pm Dec. 29 at Heckart Community Center. The public is invited to attend to use the facility and learn about health topics.
There are almost 100 members of the medical staff, which includes physicians and advanced practice providers such as nurse practitioners, midwives, certified registered nurse anesthetists and physician assistants. Chief of Staff Dr. Stuart Braverman said the team is excited to host the event and encourages people to check out the Heckart Community Center that opened in March.
“It’s a tremendous facility and asset to Sedalia,” he said. “The medical staff overwhelmingly decided to host this event that will allow the community to stop in for a free preview of what activities and events are offered there.”
The first 20 people can take an hour-long Zumba class that starts at 6:30 pm, and there are 20 spots available for childcare for the duration of the evening. People can swim, use the courts for basketball and volleyball, get pickleball lessons and “walk with a doc” on the walking track every 30 minutes beginning at 6:30 pm.
Some members of the medical staff will also be available in the center’s three community rooms to provide information and answer questions about popular health topics including dementia, joint care and wellness screenings. Braverman said this inaugural event is meant to connect Bothwell’s medical professionals with community members in an informal, fun and healthy setting.
“So often we see our patients in their most vulnerable moments and under stressful conditions,” he said. “This is an opportunity to meet and connect in a different environment and encourage healthy activities that we hope people will continue into the new year.”
The Heckart Community Center is located at 1800 W. Third Street in Sedalia.
- 6-9 pm – Free childcare for first 20 children aged 6 months to 12 years
- 6:15 pm – Welcome
- 6:30 pm – Zumba class (first 20 people free)
- 6-9 pm – Pickleball lessons with Dr. Meredith Norfleet and Dr. Daron Olmsted (Gym)
- 6:30 -8 pm – Arthritis and Orthopedic Problems with Dr. Douglas Kiburz (Community Room)
- 6:30 pm – Walk with a Doc (Walking Track)
- 7 pm – Walk with a Doc (Walking Track)
- 7:30 pm – Walk with a Doc (Walking Track)
- 8 pm – Walk with a Doc (Walking Track)
- 8:30 pm – Walk with a Doc (Walking Track)